« Home | New Year, Old Fart » | Meme Of Four (Clyde Version) » | Meme Of Four » | Puzzle 2 » | Chuck Norris » | Puzzle 1 » | Pieces Of SG » | Singapore Party Girl » | New » 

Monday, February 27, 2006 

Ang Lee




Tui Shou , or Pushing Hand (USA), is the first full length motion picture I watched directed by Ang Lee.

Love the show and had pretty good impression on this Chinese director.

Then,

Hsi Yen (The Wedding Banquet, 1993)……

Yin Shi Nan Nu (Eat Drink Man Woman, 1994) …………..

Loved them both. Just couldn’t help but have this prejudice that Asian director can never make it into 1st rank director in Hollywood.

Then again,

Wo Hu Cang Long (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, 2000)…….

Like it. But again, believed it’s success was mainly because of luck, and the westerners’ total lack of oriental cinematography knowledge. A Discovery Channel flick to them.

Until,

Hulk (2003).

Glad that finally an Asian get to have control of big budget film (I think I really have prejudice against Hollywood. Bad me!) However, didn’t pay much attention to this piece of his work because I thought he did lost his own style to please the “Guai Low”; both his boss and the audience.

Brokeback Mountain.

I admit, for a while I did have prejudice against this movie (“Strange to have a Chinese direct a film about Cowboys”). However, after watching it the 2nd time with my wife, only I realized how stupid I was. My perception of his work was still remain at his Pushing Hand and Eat Drink Man Woman era. Always thinking he change his style to suite the westerners, the prejudice blinded me to watch/read his style with care. The word isn’t change, it is evolve.

Gotta start learning about this director’s work. Anyone out there who’s a fan of this Asian director’s work? Need some insightful opinion.



Blogger Chat