« Home | 5 Words Game » | Assamboi » | 9 to 5 » | Kite Runner » | Guillermo Vargas Habacuc » | Say » | Thunderbolt » | Friendly » | April » | In Other News » 

Friday, May 23, 2008 

Cupid 1

cupid1

Something Clyde said 2 days ago triggered off some distant memories.

It was the twilight of 1997 when I was retrenched. The future seemed bleak and jobs were scarce. I even considered venturing into servicing department in different fields. Even then, I scanned every classified in every newspaper everyday, holding on to a sliver of desperation, hoping to continue doing what I love most - Advertising.

And then, I spotted a teeny ad advertising for the post of a Graphic Designer. I went for it although the company name was unknown and the office was located under a rock- Jalan Kuchai Lama. Slim pickings, so I pestered Clyde to drive me there.

It was post working hours when I entered the 2nd floor of a small shop house while Clyde waited in the car. I pressed the doorbell and a tall, skinny bespectacled man in his late 30’s who introduced himself as the Creative Director opened the door. I took a seat, shoved my folio underneath his bored face and began my horse and pony show.

He listened with no emotion and then it came, THE question, the pinnacle of curiosity of every CD I met.

CD: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Bonnie: Um, hopefully I will be in some international agency... become an AD... see my work on TV... win some awards... ahah hah hah...

CD: Awards?? I will never understand why would anyone want that?? I have a cluster of awards and even a silver Clio but it has done nothing for my career!!

Bonnie: YOU DO?? WHERE? CAN I SEE???

CD: Um, I don’t have it here but I do! I worked at McCan, LB, JWT, just to name a few. Why, have you heard of the movie ‘Cupid No. 1’? I produced it! I worked along side Sally Yeh, Mark Cheng, Chow Yuen Fatt. But I don’t go around telling anybody!!

Bonnie: *wide eyed doe*

CD: Anyway, can you help me with this artwork. I think the computer’s gone kaputt. I can’t even on the damn thing.

Bonnie: Here, press the ‘on’ button.

CD: Oh.

Bonnie: -_-

Funny but true.



Blogger Chat