« Home | Crazy » | Another Tag » | The French, Chinese, Chicken, and Duck. » | Cacat By Pacat » | World Map » | Tak Halal » | Esquire Kitchen Sinks » | Konyaku Weekend » | Invasion » | Cartoon » 

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 

Faux Pas

Clyde and I went for our neighbour’s daughter’s wedding. It was my first Malay wedding and I didn’t know what to expect. My knowledge was limited to Lat’s illustrations and some scattered memories in my Buku Sejarah, but surely things are different now?

So off we went on a Saturday night to the Felda hall in KL. I sensed something was amiss when we turned into the car park. We saw bodies covered conservatively from head to toe. You can’t miss the intricate and elegant textures of the Baju Melayu, Baju Kurung, Kebaya, Selendang, etc. What to expect from a Dato Seri Paduka neighbour? Kelasnya. Me, on the other hand, was wearing a tight black pencil skirt and spaghetti strap layered top. No one exposed as much as an elbow, but I have my back and tattooed shoulder facing the world. Usually I would grab a shawl in case it gets cold, but of all days I have to forget lah.

Anyway. Aside from my faux pas, the ceremony was short and sweet. My Malay vocab expanded a little as I know now what is upacara merenjis and understand poetic phrases the emcee spoke of he whole night. There is something very humble and mystical about the way the Muslims cup their palms in prayer and the sprinkling of water during the merenjis actions. The food was superb too! Love the giant prawns, beef and chicken dish but can’t stand tapai. :P

Buah Cempedak di luar pagar,
Ambil galah tolong jolokkan.
Saya budak baru belajar,
Kalau salah tolong tunjukkan.

Satu, dua, tiga,
Bunga kembang waktu senja.
Senyuman pasangan pengantin semanis gula,
Dari pelamin hingga ke akhir masa.

Vogue gitu.



Blogger Chat